Tuesday 30 October 2012

Gerhard's Photos: Coventry

GERHARD:
Jeff Tundis had posted a bunch of my old photos and I included some little captions on his Art of Gerhard website quite a while ago. I've just started going through my old photos and here are a few that aren't on his website. These are from a trip to Coventry, England, in 1989 to attend a convention. I think.

FA #115 cover & photo:
Coventry Cathedral. This photo, of all the ones that I took that trip, was the one that I really wanted to try to draw. The Fantasy Advertiser comics magazine did an interview while we were there and wanted a cover. I was only too happy to oblige. I like how Dave re-interpreted himself and added Cerebus the Tourist. The composition made me think of the angel and devil you often see depicted on people's shoulders but in this case the angel went over and kicked butt.
(Click Image To Enlarge)
Dave On Stairs, Coventry Cathedral:
This photo was taken with a flash in near darkness, the little patch of light from a slit in the wall was the only illumination. I thought it would make for a cool composition but I thought that I'd end up with more of the ambient light and not so much flash. It wasn't until I got the film developed that I noticed Dave's name written on the wall over his shoulder. Spooky.

Jaka's Story, Coventry:
These buildings were my basis for some of the buildings in Jaka's Story. There was a sign nearby that read: Oldest Pub in England. I'm kinda thrilled. "Hey, cool!" Unimpressed, our local guide says, "Oh, every town's got one".

Gerhard provided background art to Dave Sim’s cast of Cerebus characters between issue #65 (August 1984) and #300 (March 2004) - contributing to over 4,700 pages of comic art, as well as numerous Cerebus covers and illustrations. Keep up to date on all of Gerhard’s current projects at his blog and website, including details of his new book, The Wish.

No comments: