Saturday 6 October 2012

Richard Bruning's Cerebus Ads

Cerebus Ad: The Comics Journal #67 (October 1981)
Designed by Richard Bruning
RICHARD BRUNING:
(from a comment on Kickstarter Update #66, 24 July 2012)
Finally, I can die happy. One of my first ads for Cerebus appears! And for those of you who care, doing the monthly Cerebus B&W ads was one of the most enjoyable creative experiences of my career. Some of my best work too. All because (besides loving the book) of the creative freedom that Dave gave me. Deni would send me the first 10 pages of the next issue and then it was all up to me to decide what to do with them. Far as I know, I only pissed off Dave once with my efforts. (You have to guess which one and why, when all of them see "print" or whatever.) Thank you Dave for that wonderful opportunity.

Richard Bruning is a freelance graphic designer currently blogging as Apple devotee iSensei. In 1979 he opened the design firm Abraxas Studio and in the early 1980s he was a key member of Capital Comics staff, acting as Editor-In-Chief and Art Director on Nexus, The Badger and Whisper, until they ceased operations in 1984. At DC Comics he was Design Director (1985-1990), VP-Creative Director (1996-2002) and Senior Vice-President (2002-2010).
Cerebus Ad: The Comics Journal #77 (November 1982)
Designed by Richard Bruning

1 comment:

Slumbering Agartha said...

Great looking ads. I love the layout; it's got the dynamic quality of a Dave Sim comic page, with the coolness and slickness of a Jazz Album's liner notes. Love it.