Saturday 19 March 2016

Impossible Thing #5

DAVE SIM:
So the 2+2=4 I would suggest as apparent in #5 hinges on "equal partnership":  Up to 1970, partnership -- marriage -- was a universal constant.  Virtually all woman got lifelong husbands and stable marriages which I think is the societal ideal.  So I think the Natural organizing principle -- men working outside the home and women working inside the home -- proved itself.

The criteria being not just equality -- which we have now -- but universality, which we don't.

This will be my last post on Erick's IMPOSSIBLE THINGS until after the launch of The Cerebus Oversize Project, where I'll pick up with #6. Sincere apologies to you, Erick!  I appreciate your patience. 

2 comments:

Erick said...

Dave, no problem about replying until after the COP is launched.
No, as for my reply.
You use 1970 as your baseline, and now I think i understand why. in the 1970's divorce rates skyrocketed. Going from 26% in the 1960's to 48% in the 1975 and 50% by 1985.
Why did this happen? No it was not due to feminism, although it almost certainly had an empowering role to play. It was due to the courts. Specifically the relaxing of divorce laws that allowed no-fault divorces. Prior to the 1970's the only way women could get a divorce was to prove adultery or cruelty. After no-fault, 'irreconcilable differences' were allowed.
If that ability had existed in the 50's or 60's it is very likely that the divorce rates would have approached the 70's rates.

Travis Pelkie said...

As far as I know, though, Erick, that was state-by-state (no fault divorce, that is). If I remember right, New York State didn't allow no-fault divorce into the '90s (and I'm not entirely sure if they allow this now -- if they did change this, it was within the last 10 or so years, I think).

It would be interesting to see the divorce rates in different states and how they've changed over the years since no-fault was permitted.

I believe that 1970 as the baseline has to do with the rise of feminism post-Betty Friedan, the start of Ms. Magazine, and...I think Norman Mailer plays a factor in there, too. No, really.